Welcome to my homepage
Since June 2015, I have been working as an associate professor in the School of Electrical Engineering at Aalto University. I hold a Ph.D. (2002) degree in statistics from University of Jyvaskyla Finland as well as D.Sc. (2010) degree in signal processing from Aalto University. I am also an adjunct professor (statistics) of University of Oulu. For more details, see my bio or read my interview here.
My research interests lie in the intersection of the fields of statistical signal processing, high-dimensional statistics, and machine learning. One of my long-lasting interest has been robust multivariate statistics, and I have recently co-authored a text-book published by Cambridge University Press on this topic. I am an author or coauthor of roughly 80 papers in the top journals and conference in signal processing and statistics.
At Aalto University, I am the program director of the BSc program in Information Technology. If you are a student interested in this progam, then do not hesitate to contact me.
- I am a co-editor for Signal Processing (Elservier) special issue on Statistical Signal Processing Solutions and Advances for Data Science: Complex, Dynamic and Large-scale Settings. Submission Deadline is May 1st, 2019.
- I am organizing a Finnish-French Statistical Learning for Signal Processing mini-workshop during Dec 5th and 7th, 2018. Hope to see you there.
- My doctoral student Muhammad Tabassum received the Nokia scholarship. Congratulations!
- I gave a talk about high-dimensional covariance matrix estimation at Machine Learning coffee seminar (Nov 12, 2018) organized by the Aalto University and the University of Helsinki. You can find my slides here
- Nora Ouzir started (Nov. 1st, 2018) as a post-doctoral fellow. Wellcome!
- I am an invited speaker at International Conference on Robust Statistics at Leuven, Belgium (ICORS 2018).
- I am visiting for 8 days the CentraleSupelec, France. Many thanks to Prof. Frederic Pascal for hosting.
- On June 15th, 2018, my doctoral student, Shahab Basiri, defended his Ph.D. thesis Robust large-scale statistical inference and ICA using bootstrapping. Many thanks for the opponents, Profs Daniel P. Palomar and Jean-Yves Tourneret.
- I will be visiting for June 4-12, 2018, the University of Grenoble (Gibsa-lab) and University of Savoie. Many thanks to Profs Romain Couillet and Guillaume Ginolhac for hosting.
- From May 28th, 2018, Prof David E. Tyler (Rutgers - The State University of New Jersey) is visiting our group for a whole week. Wellcome!
- From November 16-19, 2017, I will be visiting the University of Bern (Switzerland). Thanks to Prof. Lutz Duembgen for hosting.
- From Aug 1st, 2017, Jari Miettinen started as a post-doctoral fellow. Wellcome!
- From June 4th, 2017, I will be visiting for two weeks the Riken Brain Science Institute at Tokyo. Thanks to Prof. Andrzej Cichocki for hosting.