Visa Koivunen, Academy Prof. (D.Sc. (EE))
IEEE Fellow, IEEE Eta Kappa Nu, Member Eta Board of Governers Chapter
Dept of Signal Processing and Acoustics,
Aalto University, Finland (formely known as Helsinki University of Technology)
Some recent publications (somewhat outdated, sorry)
Principal Investigator in SMARAD (Smart and Novel Radios Research Unit) Center of Excellence in Research nominated by Academy of Finland, 2001-2007 and 2008-2013
Associate Editor, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine
IEEE Sensor Array and Multichannel Signal Processing Technical Committee (SAM-TC), member
Statistical Signal Processing Research Group
My research interests include:
- Estimation and detection.
- Statistical Inference for Big Data.
- Multiantenna Communications
- Cognitive Radios, flexible spectrum use
- Diversity methods in Radar, MIMO radar, Cognitive Radar
- Wireless localization, ranging
- Array Processing, Conformal Arrays, sparse arrays, non-idealities
- Machine Learning for signal processing, optimization.
- Non-cooperative signal processing, defence applications.
Teaching at Aalto: :
- Random Processes for Communications (Fall semester, in finnish)
- Statistical Signal Processing S-88.4200 (Spring semester, in english)
- Submarine data for Statistical Signal Processing course assignment
I have been working at:
Visiting Fellow, Princeton University, 2007, 2010-
Visiting Fellow, Nokia Research Center, Helsinki, 2006-2012
Adjunct Professor, 2003-2007 University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Signal Processing Laboratory, Tampere University of Technology.
Laboratory of Computer and Information Science, Helsinki University of Technology.
Signal Processing Research Lab (SPRL) of Prof. Saleem A. Kassam, Dept. of EE, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA.
GRASP Lab, Univ. of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia.
Dept. of EE, Univ. of Oulu, Finland (alma mater).
Ready to chair a thesis defence. Sometimes even professors look decent:
in Winter Wonderland
My second job as a ski instructor , just in case! In my office and another office view , another cloudy day